Sunday, January 1, 2012

Word of the Year


Recently I was challenged by my friend and fellow motivational speaker Alin Jacobs to implement a new annual ritual called “word of the year.” The concept is to select a single word or even coin a new word that will be your mantra, motivation, inspiration, and the defining characteristic of the upcoming New Year. This challenge has made a remarkable impact on my thinking over the last several weeks since Alin bestowed his wisdom and challenge upon me.

After much deliberation and contemplation, I first decided to re-visit 2011 in hopes that the past year would help me define next year. In retrospect, I decided that my word of the year for 2011 must have been “development.”

This year has allowed me to develop wonderful relationships both personally and professionally that will fuel my success in 2012. I kicked off 2011 by completely redeveloping my website SeanDon.com - which was an arduous and time consuming task, but proved to be well worth the effort. Once the website was launched, I then shifted my focus to developing a new marketing strategy and identity for workplace wellness programs – thus, the Grassroots Reform Organization (GRO) was developed. With GRO, I was able to seek out and develop new partnerships with other “healthy businesses.” Almost magically, I was connected with an organization that funds employee enrichment programs – enabling me to develop new programs for businesses who previously could not afford them. As always, I strive to develop and improve as a speaker, author, life coach and health advocate; therefore, I put a tremendous amount of effort into the development of exciting new content, programs and writings. I was even able to be instrumental in helping my top corporate client, DME Benefitness, redefine their corporate culture and workplace wellness by developing a new website, blog, newsletter and employee enrichment programs. Every day I strive to develop health and happiness for myself and those around me. Thanks to my development in 2011, I am now poised to create new corporate culture and revolutionize workplace wellness for many companies in 2012.
My personal zeitgeist for 2011 was great, but enough about the past. It’s now crystal clear to me that my word of the year for 2012 will be “wellthy.” No, that’s not a typo.
Wellthy (adjective) - synergistically benefitting from the combination of health, wealth, happiness, and wellness.
A wellthy individual realizes that their greatest wealth is in their health and that their success and overall wellness can be measured by the size of the smile on their face.
Personally, I’ve invested thousands of hours of time and immeasurable thought and energy into becoming wellthy. I believe that H.E.A.L.T.H. stands for Helping Everyone Always Leads To Happiness; therefore, I created a business that truly helps others attain health, happiness and success. The focus of my efforts, programs, writings and speeches are all aimed at developing wellthy people and businesses. By helping others and leading by example, I’m certain that I will become abundantly “wellthy” in 2012.
My first wellthy action is to pass on Alin Jacob’s wisdom - and challenge you to define your 2012 with your own personal “word of the year.” Before you make futile New Year’s resolutions that will be forgotten by February or set unrealistic goals that you will never pursue this year, put some serious thought into defining your purpose in life. This introspective thought exercise will magically reveal your word of the year and empower you to make a difference in the world – starting with a Happy New YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment