Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Great Grapefruit Juice-Off


Two of my friends, Josh Curtis and Tyler LeCompte, are both fortunate enough to have grapefruit trees in their yard – and they were both generous enough to give me some of their crop. Both guys are very proud of their fruit – the question is who’s is better? As a fruit and juice connoisseur, I’m happy to put them both to the test.
My palate is perfectly clean as I’ve been fasting and have consumed only water and grapefruit juice for the last 72 hours. So I’m perfectly primed for a taste-test.

I chose 2 equal sized grapefruits from each crop.
Curtis (left)     LeCompte (right)

First, I wanted to rate the appearance both exterior and interior. The LeCompte fruit is yellow and softer, the Curtis fruit is pinker and firmer. When I sliced them open, it was clear that the Curtis fruit is a much deeper, ruby red variety while LeCompte’s has a paler pink meat. Winner – Curtis.

LeCompte (left)       Curtis (right)

I measured the juice content and clearly the LeCompte fruit is juicier as it produced 16oz of juice from 2 fruits and the Curtis pair produced only 12oz. Winner – LeCompte.

          LeCompte - 16oz                                 Curtis - 12oz

So which one tastes better? Taste is such a subjective measurement, but here is my analysis. The LeCompte juice is sweeter and smoother while the Curtis juice is tangier and bolder. I happen to like both flavors very much and since they are both extremely healthy and delicious, I have to call a draw on the taste test. Winner – Tie.
LeCompte (left)   Curtis (right)

The true winner of the great grapefruit juice-off is ME since I get to enjoy delicious fruit juice from two great friends. Thanks guys.

1 comment:

  1. There can only be one Highlander! I love that you were the one who emerged victorious in the end. LOL! Perhaps create a mixture of both to make the ultimate fusion of flavor?

    Love these blogs. I'd like to see some more description of what you're enduring. How is your energy levels throughout the process of fasting and juicing? Will spectators like myself see that fasting isn't as scary as they may presume?

    ReplyDelete