Monday, January 9, 2012

What the Health Have I Done?! Week 1 Recap

I completed a 117 hour (4 ½ day) water fast to push the reset button on my metabolism and trigger the detox process. It was challenging, but was worth it.

Some of my hardships during the fast included:
-           A horrible metallic taste in my mouth that I couldn’t get rid of
-          No sustained energy during physical exertion (I moved some furniture for a friend)
-          Growling stomach for the first 36 hours
-          Body ‘funk’ and odor
-          Mild euphoria (also on my benefit list)
-          Resisting the temptation to go out with friends on the weekend
Some of my benefits during and as a result of the fast included:
-          Increased alertness, clarity, focus and creativity
-          Less lethargic – energy throughout the day (except during heavy physical exertion)
-          Waking up earlier in the morning
-          Saving lots of $ on food
-          Mild euphoria
-          Losing a total of 12.6 pounds in less than 5 days!
I broke my fast on Saturday and began an intestinal detox regimen that included my special “sweeper salad,” some herbal detox powder, and some enzymes and probiotics. I also incorporated some raw foods such as avocado, cucumber, kale, peppers, onion, citrus fruits, asparagus, and home-made hummus into my diet in very small quantities at a time. I also included fresh fruit and veggie juices from oranges, grapefruits, melons, cucumbers, carrots, celery, beets and apples to name a few.
Eating again after almost 5 days with no food was awesome. It’s amazing how much more flavorful and delicious food and juice tastes when you haven’t eaten in a while. Is it my clean palate or the renewed appreciation for food that contributes to this heightened enjoyment? I say it’s both.
During the entire period I have been consistently relentless about incorporating regular physical activity into my daily routine. Although I’m still in good enough shape to run several miles, I decided to pretend I wasn’t and simply start out with a walking routine. I walked for a minimum of one hour per day – that was enough time for me to walk about 2 ½ to 3 miles per day. Heavy physical exertion is not possible or recommended on a zero calorie water fast, so I passed on the gym and did some very basic anywhere, anytime “couch-potato” exercises at home. I also stretched every day for a minimum of two 20 minute sessions.
Aside from accomplishing over 33% of my 3 month weight loss goal in just a week, I feel great and I know that I am off on the right foot to reaching my goal in a healthy and empowered manner.

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo! A freakin' whole 1/3 of your weight loss! I like the money saving aspect of it. Hmmmmm....

    ReplyDelete