Monday, September 27, 2010

Pay to Play

An excerpt from “Health and Happiness: an Owner’s Manual for the Mind and Body” by Sean Donovan. Available for purchase or download on http://www.seandon.com/

If you are going to do things that punish your body such as heavy exertion, smoking, drinking alcohol, sleep deprivation, or stressful lifestyle – then give your body equal or greater rewards to counteract the ill effects.

I drink alcohol occasionally, so I made it a habit of drinking at least a 2 ounce shot of wheatgrass juice daily. Wheatgrass juice is a strong antioxidant and can rapidly cleanse and detoxify the liver (which takes a beating from the alcohol).

I also drink copious amounts of mineral rich water to make sure the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals can flow to all of my body and that lactic acid, toxins and waste can be quickly flushed out and eliminated from my body.

I physically work out hard and lead a very active lifestyle with minimal sleep. Therefore, I make sure that I stretch my body out on a daily basis. I even invested in a hot tub to aid in this exercise. Stretching in the morning and night helps to get the blood flowing to muscles and organs. The blood brings in oxygen and nutrients and takes out lactic acid and toxins. My high water consumption also keeps my muscles limber. I find that even though I don’t sleep for long periods, I go to bed relaxed and prepared for sleep and wake up feeling energized and loose.

My body’s favorite treat is massage therapy. This multiplies the effects of stretching tenfold by forcing blood into tightly knotted muscles. Massage also gets toxins and waste moving from stagnant internal areas in the body. Massage is complimented well with water, stretching, exercise, sleep and fresh air.

Meditation is another form of positive rest and relaxation. Everyone should have a “happy place” where the mind and its emotions can vacation at any time. Those of you who think this idea is juvenile are probably the ones who need it most. Imagine a happy moment in your past – one that you can recall vividly. Where were you? Who were you with? What was the temperature? What smells, sounds, sights, feelings and sensations were around you? Can you imagine this time and place so vividly that the thought actually invokes the same feelings that you felt at that time?

Smiling is another therapy I highly recommend. Try to put on your biggest and most genuine smile and hold it for a minute. Did it change your mindset? It’s hard smile when you are in a bad mood, but it is even harder to be in a bad mood when you are walking around with a smile on your face. Scientific research purports that the very act of smiling causes chemical reactions in the body and the release of certain hormones and endorphins. A smile could be a great anti-depressant medicine without all the side effects. Smiling is contagious too. When someone sees you smile, they are likely to do the same in return. Make someone else’s day and pass a smile their way.

A day spent upset is a day you might regret. You only have one life to live - better make it positive. So turn that frown upside down and smile for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment